Hi, my name is Felix Uellendall. I am a young Data Engineer working in a data team for a digital agency in Berlin, Germany. I joined the Apache Software Foundation in September 2019. Since then I am also an Apache Airflow Committer.
I am most skilled in: Apache Airflow, Python and Unit Testing
I am familiar with: Azure, Express.js, GCP, Golang, Julialang, Kubernetes, Node.js, Terraform and Test Driven Development
German (Native speaker) and English (Upper-intermediate)
"Airflow is a platform to programmatically author, schedule and monitor workflows." - Apache Airflow
In search for a solution for the management of data pipelines I stumbled upon the Open-Source project Apache Airflow in January 2018. I really appreciate the simplicity of use, high coverage of use cases and the community behind it. That’s why I decided to give something back so I started contributing and am now a committer of this project.
"A database and api service for movies hosted on a dockerized raspberry pi." - Felix Uellendall
A personal project for user-friendly self hosting of an API Service on simple computer devices.
Apache Software Foundationhttps://www.apache.org/
Apache Airflow Committer
September 2019 - Present
"The World's Largest Open Source Foundation" - Apache Software Foundation
For Apache Airflow I am..
- writing project and code documentation
- writing unit tests in python
- adding new features like Airflow hooks and operators
- reporting bugs via Jira or GitHub Issues
- communicating with the community via email and slack
- writing Airflow Improvement Proposals in Confluence
- reviewing GitHub pull requests
- helping users to join the community
- testing and voting releases
Digitas Pixelpark GmbHhttps://www.digitaspixelpark.com/
Junior Data Engineer
January 2018 - Present
"Germany's most impactful customer experience agency" - Digitas Pixelpark GmbH
- built a data management platform on AWS for our data analysts and scientists to access analytics data efficiently
- added CI/CD to our DMP (data management platform) via GitLab CI/CD which lints, tests, builds documentation and deploys our code to a development or production environment
- building (ETL/ELT) data pipelines with Apache Airflow
- connecting new data sources (mostly via REST APIs) to our data platform
- transforming data via SQL or Python Pandas to be analytics-ready
- designing workflows efficiently by making use of a lot of features of Apache Airflow
- monitoring of our data pipelines
NETRONIC Software GmbHhttps://www.netronic.com/
Student Research Assistant
August 2012 - August 2016
"Our mission is to enable every SMB organization to achieve operational agility with visual scheduling." - NETRONIC Software GmbH
- built a .NET Windows Forms application in C#
- learned that code readibility is important through refactoring and mentorship
- learned the efficient usage of version control systems
- built a web application accessing Microsoft Azure Active Directoy via a REST API to manage users for one of our products
- built a hybrid mobile application to let our customers monitor their machines status easily
Shortened apprenticeship for software development
September 2016 - January 2018
Oberstufenzentrum Informations- und Medizintechnik
During my time of the apprentice I was working for Publicis Pixelpark GmbH. There I built..
- a REST API with the Spring Framework in Java
- a web application with Node.js, Express.js and Handlebars
- a command line application for our data team for automated transfer of social listening data
ICT with specifics in application development [Incomplete]
August 2013 - August 2016
Aachen University of Applied Sciences
I learned about..
- the basics of programming in C++
- several other programming languages like Assembly, Prolog and Matlab
- algorithms and data structures
- IT security and forensic
- databases and web technologies
- computer systems architectures, operating systems and distributed systems
IT assistant and advanced technical college entrance qualification
August 2010 - August 2013
Berufskolleg für Gestaltung und Technik
I learned about..
- the basics of programming in C# and Java
- web development with PHP and MySQL
A Little More About Me
I love creating things, solving puzzles, thinking about code and improving challenging problems. Open Source is what I like doing the most. I enjoy working in the community and share my knowledge with each other.
I also fell in love with the nature and the silence being out there. I like hiking, playing the piano and I am fascinated by the universe.